07 September 2008

Crayfish party – Swedish traditions part 2




Do you remember I told you about the Midsummer festivities? Well the crayfish party is basically yet another opportunity for the Swedes to drink aquavit and sing obscure songs. The difference is that this time we don`t do it around the maypole but decorate our houses with paper lanterns and wear silly hats. As you can see I am especially fond of the silly hats part…..





In Sweden we drink aquavit in small shot glasses and at the crayfish parties in my younger days you had to take a “shot” for every crayfish pincer you ate! That usually left you in a blurred state very fast or had you sliding under the table. Now when I am old and very mature ( ha, ha you wish) I do a lot less sliding under tables which also means that I feel a lot better the day after. My oh my you could have the hangovers from hell in those days. Not to mention waking up with strange bumps on your forehead from hitting the floor. LOL!



Yesterday’s crayfish party was of a much calmer variety and a family affair with my parents, uncle, my sister and my brother in law. We had a great time shooting air gun at balloons (before the aquavit mind you), eating an enormous amount of crayfish, singing and drinking the occasional aquavit.




I am quite sure that there was no sliding under tables but as you can see I have passed on the silly hat thing to the younger generation .....


Take care
Jeanette

9 comments:

Sömsmånen said...

Aah, kräftor...Snaps.... Jag vet vad du menar med det där att man inte halkar ner under bordet så ofta längre - skönt!

Jane LaFazio said...

I guess aquavit can make anything taste good! Crayfish are so very ugly...Or is it drinking aquavit AND wearing the hat that makes it all taste good?? Cute post!

LiLi M. said...

Mmmm sounds good!! I love the funny hats! I left you a reward at my blog, come and get it! Have a great week!

Anna Stilla said...

Jag har lärt mig att sjunga små grodorna. Jag har även lärt mig att äta skinka på julafton ( polska julaftnar är strikt vegetariska) men jag kommer aldrig att lära mig att äta kräftor. Jag har försökt men jag tycker att det är så jobbigt att suga, banka, knäcka, pilla, mosa för att slutligen få i sig en misshandlad stjärt.

Så jag håller mig till brännvinet och låter andra kasta sig över kräftorna.

Kram min fina Jeanette
Anna

Poppedijne said...

This is such fun. I must have been a very nice feast with lots of juicy crayfish...Hmmm I like them!!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I've never had crayfish. They look like baby lobsters. Love the photos with the hats. xoxo

Anonymous said...

SLÖRP...Så gott...!
Och så fina ni är i de glada hattarna!
Jag älskar kräftor, men när mitten på augusti kommer så är det mandelpotatis, tunnbröd, lök, västebottensost och SURSTRÖMMING som står högst upp på önskelistan!

Maria said...

Så fin du är i alla hattar (för det är väl du, utom nederst?)
Vi åt kräftor för någon helg sedan, det är så gott!!

Mandi said...

I like the idea of your crayfish parties....you sound like my kinda girl....